Like most people, you probably think of eyelash serum as a miracle product that will help you get rid of fake lashes and extensions forever.
And it is true to some extent; I won’t deny it completely, as some pretty amazing lash serums out there can lengthen and thicken your lashes. However, all that glitter is not gold.
So, does eyelash serum work?
There is scientific evidence that proves the efficacy of lash serums. A study published in the American Academy of Dermatology found that a 3% concentration of Bimatoprost, the active ingredient in Latisse, was effective in lengthening, thickening, and darkening lashes.
While several clinical studies have found that a growth serum does work, there are some things you should keep in mind before using one.
So, what should you look for in an eyelash growth serum? And how do you use it to get the longest, fullest lashes possible?
Let’s get started!
Disclaimer: Although I have been doing lash enhancement treatments for years, I am not a doctor. All content and information in this post are for informational and educational purposes only and do not constitute medical advice. Always seek the advice of your own Medical Provider regarding any questions or concerns you have about your specific health before implementing any recommendations or suggestions from our Website.
Do Eyelash Growth Serums REALLY Work?
The short answer is yes, but it depends on the ingredients. There are a lot of growth serums on the market that don’t actually contain active lash-growing ingredients.
You could be using a serum every day and not see any results because the formula isn’t doing anything to help your lashes grow.
So what does the science say?
Here are the most relevant and up-to-date studies I found.
1- According to this clinical study published by the American Academy of Dermatology:1
- Bimatoprost 0.03% is an effective eyelash growth enhancer.
- Subjects in the bimatoprost 0.03% group also had significantly greater increases in eyelash length, thickness, and darkness.
- Only conjunctival hyperemia was a statistically significant side effect (P = .03).
2- According to this study published by the MS Clinical Research:2
- After 30 days of using a polygrowth factor serum, participants had the following improvements: 10.52% in lash length, 9.3% in volume, 11.43% in luster, 35% in thickness, and 50.83% in curl.
- No adverse events were recorded
- The results persisted up to 90 days after using the product
3- According to this study published by Montreal University:3
- Subjects were instructed to use Latisse and were evaluated at T0, 1 month, and 2 months.
- Average lash length increased at each evaluation point.
- Over time, LATISSE causes eyelashes to become longer (less than two months).
It’s important to remember that not all lash serums are created equal. For an eyelash growth serum to be effective, it must contain the right ingredients and be used properly.
There are several other factors to consider when choosing an eyelash serum. Let’s take a look.
What Are Lash Serums & How Do They Work?
You might already have an idea of what they are on the surface level, but let’s dig in a bit deeper.
Eyelash serums are typically clear, gel-like treatments applied to the base of the lashes with a small brush. The active ingredients in the serum then condition and strengthen the lashes, helping them grow longer, thicker, and healthier.
Most lash serums contain a combination of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that are known to promote hair growth. For example, many contain biotin, a water-soluble vitamin often used to help grow healthy hair and nails.
Top Tip: I have written a comprehensive lash serum guide right here!
Lash growth serums may also contain other ingredients like green tea extract, an antioxidant that can help protect the natural lashes from damage.
How Do They Work?
Eyelash serums work by penetrating the hair follicle and conditioning the lash from the root. This helps to encourage growth and prevent breakage, making the lashes appear longer, thicker, and healthier.
When used consistently, they can help to achieve dramatic results. However, it’s important to keep in mind that they don’t work overnight and that there are pros and cons when using an eyelash growth serum. It can take several weeks or even months of regular use to see noticeable results.
Choosing an Effective Lash Serum
Now that we know lash serums can be effective, let’s talk about how to choose the right one and get the most out of it.
1- Type Of Lashes
The main factor is what kind of lashes you have. If you have short, sparse lashes, you’re likely to see a bigger difference than if you have long, thick lashes. Also, if your eyelashes are hardly visible, you must be patient and regularly apply the serum to see results.
2- Consistency Of Application
Another factor is how well you follow the instructions. Lash serums usually need to be applied once or twice a day, every day, for at least several weeks before you’ll start to see results.
And even then, results can vary from person to person. And remember, results may not happen overnight, but with consistent use, you could see longer, fuller lashes in no time.
3- Brand’s Credibility
Be sure to do your research and select a reputable brand. You can check the brand’s review online and influencers’ experiences with it to avoid getting ripped off.
Youtube is a fantastic place to find testimonials and reviews from other women who have used the product you are considering buying.
Personally, I noticed that the more expensive eyelash serums work a bit faster, and you can see visible results within a month.
4- Quality Of Ingredients
When choosing an eyelash serum, look for one that contains biotin or green tea extract. These ingredients are effective in promoting lash growth.
Moreover, peptide-based serums are also good for lash growth as they stimulate the synthesis of keratin, which is the main protein that makes up your lashes.
You should also ensure that the lash serum you choose is hypoallergenic and dermatologist-tested to avoid irritation or allergic reactions.
5- Correct Application Of Serum
It is important to apply the serum properly to reach the eyelashes’ roots and work its magic. Here’s how to do it.
- Start by cleansing your lashes with a gentle cleanser and patting them dry.
- Then, apply a small amount of the serum to the base of your upper lashes, being careful not to get any in your eyes.
- Use a clean mascara brush or fingers to lightly distribute the product along your lashes.
- Allow the serum to dry before applying mascara or any other eye makeup.
Use the lash serum once or twice daily for several weeks for best results.
Testimonial Proofs That Eyelash Growth Serums Do Work
In this Youtube video, several women tested two lash serums for 1 month and shared their results:
Check out what they have to say!
Are There Any Side Effects?
Most eyelash serums are safe and effective when used as directed. However, some people may experience mild side effects like dryness, redness, itching, or irritation. Another complication you could observe from using an eyelash growth serum is dark circles, caused by hyperpigmentation.
People with sensitive eyes can experience some redness, but in my experience, if your eyes are not extremely itchy, then it is completely normal. Still, if you experience any of these side effects, discontinue use and consult your doctor.
It’s also important to note that eyelash serums can interact with certain medications, so be sure to talk to your doctor before using one if you are taking any prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
The Bottom Line
Clinical studies have shown that an eyelash serum can indeed help you grow longer, thicker, and fuller lashes. Some people may see visible results within a few weeks, while others may need to use the product for several months to see any difference.
It’s important to choose a quality product, and use it as directed to minimize any side effects.
If you have any concerns, It’s always best to talk to your doctor before using any lash serum, especially if you have sensitive eyes or take any medications.
- Stacy Smith, Steven Fagien, Scott M Whitcup, Fred Ledon, Christine Somogyi, Emily Weng, Frederick C Beddingfield 3rd (2011). Eyelash growth in subjects treated with bimatoprost: a multicenter, randomized, double-masked, vehicle-controlled, parallel-group study. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21899919/ [Accessed 14th June 2022].
- Mukta Sachdev, Keerthi Velugotla, Sapna Revanker, and Geetha Somasekhar. (2020). An Open-label, Single-center, Safety and Efficacy Study of Eyelash Polygrowth Factor Serum. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7158911/ [Accessed 14th June 2022].
- Etty Bitton. (2017). Effects of LATISSE (Bimatoprost 0.03 percent Topical Solution) on the Ocular Surface. Retrieved https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28122407/ [Accessed 15th June 2022].
Life Is Short, Your Lashes Don’t Need to Be
Sign up for exclusive insights, tips, and tricks for long eyelashes to fall for!
100% free. Only the good stuff.