I love my lifted, tinted lashes on their own for day-to-day beauty, but I bring out the eyeliner for a big night out or special occasion! Can anything beat winged eyes for a knockout look? Gigi, Selena, Kim K, Adele, Ari, Megan Thee Stallion – who’s not rocking this makeup trend?
If you also can’t do without your lash lift for everyday get-up-and-go, but like statement-making eye makeup when the occasion calls for it, you’re likely wondering if you can wear eyeliner with a lash lift.
You can wear eyeliner with a lash lift, but wait 24 hours after your procedure before applying it. Avoid waterproof and oil-based liners and never use expired products. Choose water-based formulations that are easy to wash off, like liquid or powder liners.
You can use liner in countless ways to dress up your eyes! This versatile makeup item works so well with lifted, curled lashes, so it’s a huge relief they’re compatible.
Here’s your go-to guide for wearing eyeliner with a lash lift, from avoiding mistakes to the best liners and how to apply them.
Can You Use Eyeliner With a Lash Lift?
Your lashes look done straight after your lash lift. Lifted from the root? Check! Curled to perfection? Check? So, it might surprise you that the results aren’t yet fixed.
It takes 24 hours for the new shape to set properly, and while it does, you must protect your lashes from anything that can spoil your results.
For the first day after your procedure, usually harmless things like water, steam, heat, and skincare products become threats that can make your lashes fall flat.
Another danger in these 24 hours is makeup, including eyeliner. Applying eyeliner within 24 hours of your lash lift can sabotage your results directly and indirectly:
- #1: Directly if the eyeliner contains ingredients that work against the lifting effect.
- #2: Indirectly by weakening your lift when you wash off the liner.
So, keep eyeliner off your eyes for the first 24 hours after your lash lift for long-lasting results. The same rule applies to the very popular lash lift and tint treatment.
You can whip out your eyeliner from the second day and draw away! However, you must be picky about which type you use, apply it carefully, and remove it gently.
I’ll share all the pro tips you’ll need for wearing eyeliner with a lash lift.
But first, let’s check out the perks of a lash-lift-and-liner beauty boost.
Why Wear Eyeliner With a Lash Lift?
Here are just 3 reasons eyeliner and a lash lift work so well together to beautify your eyes:
- Reason #1: They accent your eyes magnificently for instant glam – even if it’s the only makeup you wear.
- Reason #2: They can create optical illusions. The lift makes lashes look longer, and the liner makes the lash line look fuller. Together you get the illusion of longer, thicker lashes.
- Reason #3: They’re both magicians with the power to make eyes look bigger, rounder, and brighter.
Did you know there’s a way to use eyeliner to flatter every eye shape? TheMakeupChair makeup artist Sinead shows us how.
Which Eyeliners to Wear With a Lash Lift
The best eyeliners to wear with a lash lift go on easily and can be removed with a gentle swipe.
Liquid, powder, and cake eyeliners tick these boxes – but make sure they’re oil-free and not waterproof or long-lasting (read: super-difficult to wash off).
These are the worst eyeliners to wear with a lash lift and why:
|Worst Eyeliner to Wear With a Lash Lift||Why|
|Waterproof eyeliner||These formulations contain tricky-to-remove waxes and oils. These ingredients can also lessen your lift.|
|Pencil eyeliner||These eyeliners can get tangled and pull at your lashes as you line your eyes. This ups the risk of lashes uncurling and falling out. Plus, pencil liners tend to contain waxes and oils.|
|Gel eyeliner||These extra-thick formulations are usually waterproof and a nightmare to remove.|
|Glitter eyeliner||Everyone should skip glitter eyeliners, with or without a lash lift. The glitter particles can get into and irritate your eyes. Glitter eyeliner is also near impossible to remove – you’ll probably still spot glittery specs days later!|
Warning: Whether you pick liquid or powder eyeliner, ensure you don’t use it if it’s gone bad. Note these lifespans for open products:1
- Liquid eyeliner 3 – 6 months
- Powder eyeliner 12 – 18 months
Using expired eyeliner can give you an ugly stye or a nasty eye infection, so toss makeup that’s had it.
How to Apply Eyeliner With a Lash Lift
I’ve rounded up makeup artist and beauty influencer techniques and tips for applying eyeliner with a lash lift:2-3
Note: You can use these pointers when lining your top or bottom lids (yup, you can lash lift your bottom lashes!).
- Use an ultra-pigmented eyeliner that glides on smoothly and looks bold enough without going over the line a few times.
- Don’t pull your eyelid or lashes to help you see what you’re doing. Rather use a handheld mirror and angle your face to give you a better view.
- Put your liner applicator behind your lashes before you start applying.
- If you’re doing a basic line, start at the inner corners and work out; for a winged effect, start with the wings on both eyes and then work your way to the inner corners.
Warning: Give your eyes a break from liner now and then. Applying liner daily increases the chance of blocked eye glands and lid inflammation.
How to Remove Eyeliner With a Lash Lift
To prevent skin and eye issues, remove your eyeliner before jumping into bed (every time!).
Here’s how to protect your lift while you clean your lashes:
- Use only gentle oil-free cleansers, like lash shampoo, oil-free micellar water, or oil-free baby shampoo.
- Apply a little cleanser to a moistened cotton pad and gently wipe the pad over your brow and lid, then press it against your closed eye for a count of 5 and lightly swipe it downward from lash root to tip until you’ve removed all makeup.
It’s okay for you to wear eyeliner 24 hours after your procedure. Choose one that’s simple to apply and remove (liquid and powder liners are good bets) and skip the long-wear and oil-based formulations.
Then gently wash off your eyeliner with a mild, oil-free cleanser at bedtime. Last thing: throw away all expired liners, no matter how well they work!
Now that you know you can wear eyeliner with a lash lift, you’ve just gotta perfect that winged eyeliner flick!
- Grace Gallagher – medically reviewed by Cynthia Cobb, DNP, APRN, WHNP-BC, FAANP (2020). When Does Makeup Expire? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/does-makeup-expire (Accessed on 6 August 2022)
- Marisa Petrarca (2021). How to Apply Liquid Eyeliner if You Have Lash Extensions. Retrieved from https://www.makeup.com/makeup-tutorials/eyes/beauty-question-liquid-eyeliner-lash-extensions (Accessed on 5 August 2022)
- Lupe Netro (2019). How to Apply Eyeliner with Long Eyelashes | EVERYTHING beginners need to PERFECT Liner. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiwA-xWUZpE (Accessed on 6 August 2022)
Life Is Short, Your Lashes Don’t Need to Be
Sign up for exclusive insights, tips, and tricks for long eyelashes to fall for!
100% free. Only the good stuff.