When you get a lash lift, one of the questions that you may have is if you can continue using eye makeup, specifically mascara.
Can you wear mascara with a lash lift? Is it safe? Will it damage your lashes?
Mascara can be worn with a lash lift safely. It is recommended to wait 24 hours before applying mascara, to give the lash lift time to set. Moreover, waterproof mascara is to be avoided with lash lifts.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about wearing mascara with a lash lift, from when to apply it, to what kind of mascara is best.
Let’s get started!
How Long After Lash Lift Can I Wear Mascara (And Why)
You should wait 24 hours before wearing mascara after a lash lift. There are two main reasons for that recommendation:
- Give the lash lift time to set. You don’t want to risk smudging or damaging your newly lifted lashes, so it’s best to wait. 24 hours is generally long enough for the lash lift to set and be resistant to most things. You will be able to resume your normal mascara routine after that.
- Avoid washing your face. When you put mascara on, you eventually have to remove it. However, washing your face too soon after a lash lift can cause the natural lashes to return to their original position effectively removing the lifting effect.
By avoiding mascara (or any eye makeup) in the first 24 hours, you give your lashes time to set without the need to wash them.
Can I Wear Mascara Before My Lash Lift?
If you must wear mascara before your lash lift, make sure to remove it completely before the appointment. Any residual mascara will make it harder for the technician to do their job and may cause the lift to be less effective.
Pro Tip: If you wear contact lenses, make sure to remove them before the appointment as well!
It’s recommended to avoid mascara for 24 hours before your lash lift appointment. If you wear waterproof mascara, you should stop wearing it 3 days before. This will ensure that all of the mascara residues are gone from your lashes before the lifting solution is applied.
Do I Have to Wear Mascara With My Lash Lift?
Not everyone wears mascara with an eyelash lift treatment. In fact, most of my clients stop using mascara because they feel they don’t need it anymore.
A lash lift gives your natural lashes extra length, curl, and volume making them look great on their own.
You may not feel like you need to wear mascara anymore, especially if you also got a lash tint. It is completely optional if you want to add some extra drama or definition to your lashes, but it is not necessary as your lashes will look great with a perfect curl from the lift alone.
How to Apply Mascara With a Lash Lift
Applying mascara after a lash lift is basically the same as without. Follow these simple steps:
- Start with clean lashes. If you have any residual eye makeup from the night before, make sure to remove it before applying mascara. The best way to do this is with a gentle cleanser and a cotton pad.
- Open your mascara and give it a good shake. This will help to mix up the formula and make it easier to apply.
- Place the wand at the base of your lash line and wiggle it back and forth. This will help to coat all of the lashes evenly.
- Work your way up to the tips of the natural lashes, making sure to coat them evenly.
- If you want a more dramatic look, you can apply a second coat of mascara. Just make sure to let the first coat dry completely before applying the second.
- Remove any excess mascara from the wand before putting the cap back on. This will help to avoid clumping and make it easier to apply the mascara next time.
And that’s it!
Pro Tip: If you wear eyeshadow, check out my article on how to apply eyeshadow with a lash lift here.
How to Remove Mascara With a Lash Lift
It is crucial to avoid using an oil-based makeup remover as they can break down the solution that lifts your lashes and cause them to go flat. The best way to remove mascara is with a water-based cleanser and a cotton pad.
Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Soak a cotton pad with your water-based cleanser.
- Gently press the soaked cotton pad over your lashes and hold for a few seconds.
- Slowly swipe the cotton pad downwards, from the base of the lashes to the tips.
Repeat this process until all of the mascara is removed.
It is important to be gentle when removing mascara so as not to damage the lash lift.
Best Mascara To Use After a Lash Lift
Now that you know how to apply and remove mascara with an eyelash lift, it’s time to choose the best one for your needs. There are a lot of great options on the market, but there are a few things to remember.
Don’t: Apply Waterproof Mascara
Water-resistant mascara is difficult to remove and can cause the lash lift treatment to lose its shape.
Do: Choose a Mascara With a Curling Wand
Choose a mascara that has a curling wand to help give your lashes extra curl and definition.
Don’t: Apply an oil-based mascara
Oil-free mascara will preserve the lash lift curl and will be much easier to remove.
Do: Choose a mineral mascara or water-based mascara
Mineral mascara is a good option as it is gentle on the lashes and easy to remove. Water-based mascaras are also a great choice and are usually very affordable.
Lash Lift Aftercare With Mascara
Lash lifts are pretty low maintenance, but there are a few general things to keep in mind that will help your lash lift look beautiful for up to two months. The most important aftercare is in the first 24 hours after your lash lift. After that, you can resume most of your normal beauty routine with a few minor adjustments.
Here are a few things you should not do with lifted lashes:
- Don’t get your eye area wet for 24 hours – It’s best to avoid swimming, washing your face, sweating, and steamy environments for the first day after your lifting procedure. Avoid getting your lashes wet during that initial period at all costs.
- Use washable mascara only – A water-based, washable mascara is the best choice if you are going to wear mascara at all. Water-resistant mascara can compromise your lash lift results.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes for the first few days – Rubbing your eyes can cause the lifting solution to get into your eyes, which can cause irritation.
- Skip oil or cream-based products around your eyes – Any oils or creams can counteract the lifting solution, which can make your lash lift not last as long as expected.
- Skip the eyelash curler: Avoid using eyelash curlers with a lash lift to preserve your natural lashes.
What About Mascara With a Lash Lift and Tint?
If you’re getting a lash lift and tint, you can apply mascara 24 hours after the treatment. The same rules apply – use a water-based, oil-free mascara that is easy to remove.
In most cases though, you wouldn’t need the darkness from the mascara since the tint will already make your lashes appear darker.
Mascara With Lash Lift – Key Takeaways
The great thing about how lash lifts work is that it just looks like your lashes, but better. It lifts your lashes from the root to give you a bright, wide-eyed appearance with an impressive lash curl. You can expect to have lifted, voluminous lashes for up to eight weeks.
You can wear mascara with a lash lift if you choose, although you might not even find yourself reaching for it in your makeup bag.
If you choose to wear mascara, make sure to avoid waterproof mascara and always remove it gently with an oil-free makeup remover for best results.