So, you’re thinking about using lash serum – who wouldn’t want to get longer and thicker lashes, right? However, the price is holding you back. You’re not alone – eyelash growth serums are increasingly pricey.
As a lash technician and certified lash expert, allow me to let you in on a little secret – coconut oil! You can very easily make your DIY eyelash growth serum with coconut oil.
Coconut oil is one of the best natural alternatives to lash serum. Not only is it scientifically proven to aid hair’s natural keratin, it’s also accessible and affordable. By using an empty mascara wand and some coconut oil, you can create a DIY lash serum that will condition and strengthen your eyelashes.
So, how can you make your own growth serum at home? You only need two ingredients – and you probably already have one of them at home!
How to Make Lash Serum With Coconut Oil Step-By-Step
To make eyelash serum at home, all you need are two key items:
- High-quality coconut oil
- A mascara tube or re-usable brow brushes
Step 1: Find a High-Quality Coconut Oil
When it comes to creating your eyelash growth serum, you want to opt for the highest possible quality coconut oil. Here’s how to pick the best coconut oil for your lashes:
- Avoid any formulas with added ingredients. What you want to look for is 100% pure coconut oil.
- Refined vs virgin coconut oil? In my view, it’s best to go for virgin coconut oil. Refined coconut oil often uses chemicals to extract the coconut goodness, while virgin coconut oil is completely natural.
- Read the label. You’ll want to look for coconut oil that has been “expeller-pressed” – this means that no chemicals were involved in the extraction process while making the coconut oil.
- Buy a fresh tub or bottle. While you might already have some coconut oil in your kitchen, I’d recommend buying a fresh tub or bottle for your lash serum. If it’s been opened and used regularly, the coconut oil in your kitchen may have been contaminated with other ingredients during various cooking processes. And you don’t want to put contaminated coconut oil on your lovely lashes!
Note: While virgin coconut oil is the best-quality coconut oil on the market, it also has a very strong coconut smell! If you’re not too keen on the tropical scent, you can opt for refined coconut oil, which has a much milder odor. Just make sure that the label confirms it was expeller-pressed.
Step 2: Finding an Applicator
Your next step is finding an applicator for your lash serum. In my view, the best way to apply homemade eyelash serum is via a clean, unused mascara wand. This allows the coconut oil to make direct contact with your lashes and begin working its magic.
However, if you’ve already used coconut oil (whether it be for moisturizing, shaving, or cooking) you’ll know that it has quite a thick consistency. Unlike growth serum or other oils used on the lashes, coconut oil typically comes in solid form and dissolves into an oily liquid when touched.
So, how can you get your coconut oil into a mascara applicator without making a mess?
Here’s my trick: I put some coconut oil onto a small spatula and use the end of a teaspoon (or a toothpick) to push the coconut oil into the applicator tube. Easy!
If you prefer, you can also keep your coconut oil in its original packaging and instead use reusable brow brushes to apply the coconut oil to your lashes.
However, if you’re going to keep your coconut oil in its original packaging, don’t use it for anything else. You don’t want to transfer bacteria to your eyes or lashes, so use your tub of coconut oil exclusively on your lashes and wash your brow applicator after each use.
Why is Coconut Oil Good for Eyelashes?
So, why is coconut oil good for lashes? I’m glad you asked!
Coconut oil is completely safe to use. It can also offer the following beauty benefits to your lashes:
- Aids the hair’s natural protein. Coconut oil has been proven to aid the hair’s natural protein, which means it can help strengthen your lashes and prolong their resting phase.
- Protects lashes. Dry, brittle lashes are much more prone to breaking and premature shedding. Coconut oil has been proven to help protect hair (and therefore lashes!) from breakage.1
- Hydrating. Just like your hair, your eyelashes look better when they’re hydrated. Coconut oil is a moisturizer, so regular application of coconut oil to the lashes will prevent them from getting dehydrated during the day or under make-up.
- Lengthening benefits. Some studies have found that coconut oil helps prevent hair loss.2 This means that coconut oil can even help stimulate lash growth by prolonging your lash’s anagen phase.
Step 3: Applying Your DIY Lash Serum
Now that you have your growth serum ready and an applicator at the ready, it’s time to apply it to your lashes.
Start by gently wiggling the applicator back and forth at the base of your lashes. Remember, we’re not trying to coat your lashes in a thick layer of coconut oil here. We just want to apply a small amount of serum so that your lashes can benefit from its hydrating and lengthening properties.
Once you’ve applied the serum to the base of your lashes, use the applicator to brush the serum along the length of your lashes. As you do this, make sure that you’re not pulling or tugging on your lashes, as this can cause them to break.
Once you’ve applied the serum to your upper lashes, it’s time to move on to your lower lashes. I find it easiest to apply eyelash serum to my lower lashes by holding the applicator horizontally and gently pressing it against my lower lash line.
Once you’ve applied the serum to your upper and lower lashes, leave it to sink in for a few minutes before moving on to the next step in your skincare routine.
And that’s it!
Does Coconut Oil Really Work to Grow Eyelashes?
Yes, coconut oil can help to grow your eyelashes.
Coconut oil is a natural hair care product that has been proven to help strengthen the hair and promote hair growth. This means that coconut oil can also help to grow your eyelashes.
In addition, coconut oil can help to protect your lashes from breakage. This is important because brittle, dry lashes are much more likely to break and shed prematurely.
In this video, Dr. Rupa Wong explains the science behind coconut oil and lash growth.
How often should you put coconut oil on your eyelashes?
You can apply coconut oil to the lashes every night, ideally before bedtime. Don’t apply coconut oil right before applying make-up, as it will most likely cause your make-up to run.
How long does coconut oil last?
The expiration date on most standard coconut oils is 18 months. You should look to replace your coconut oil after a year when you’re using it on your lashes.
For me, coconut oil is a real must-have staple in my house. You can use it for almost anything – moisturizing, shaving, and yes, now on your lashes!
If you’re unable to use coconut oil due to allergies (or if you simply dislike the scent!) you can read another one of my articles here for some natural DIY lash serum alternatives.
If you do go ahead and try it out at home, make sure to let me know in the comments how it turns out.
Until then, stay beautiful!
- Aarti S. Rele, R.B. Mohile. (2003) Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage. Retrieved from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12715094/ (Accessed on July 12th, 2022).
- Maria Fernanda Reis Gavazzoni Dias. (2015) Hair cosmetics, an overview. Retrieved from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25878443/ (Accessed on July 12th, 2022).
Life Is Short, Your Lashes Don’t Need to Be
Sign up for exclusive insights, tips, and tricks for long eyelashes to fall for!
100% free. Only the good stuff.