Lash lifts are uber-popular because they can make your lashes look like they’ve got a light swipe of mascara on even though you haven’t been near your mascara wand for weeks.
But maybe subtle enhancement isn’t your thing. You might like to go big with your makeup and don’t feel ready for the day until you’re rocking your signature smoky eyes and a triple coat of mascara.
If you want to add something extra to your perfect lash lift curl, I know what you’re thinking: Can I wear makeup after a lash lift?
Avoid applying all makeup for 24 hours after your lash lift to allow the results to set. After the first day, you can use oil-free, easy-to-remove makeup. Don’t apply makeup formulated to be long-lasting, like waterproof mascara, on your eye area for the duration of your lash lift.
Hooray, you don’t need to pick between your lash lift and makeup! Well… as long as you stick to a few rules. The trick is to watch your timing, products, and cleansing routine.
I’ll explain how to keep both your beauty essentials (your lash lift and makeup) in your life.
Let’s get started!
Should I Avoid Makeup After A Lash Lift?
If you wear the wrong makeup, apply it too soon after your lash lift, or remove it carelessly, you can spoil your lashes’ lift and curl. To get your lash lift and makeup to work well together, you must watch what products you use, when, and how you wash them away.
I’ll break down how to dodge mistakes when mixing makeup and lash lifts into 3 rules:
- Rule #1: Watch when you apply makeup after lash lifts.
- Rule #2: Watch which makeup you apply after lash lifts.
- Rule #3: Watch how you remove your makeup after lash lifts.
Rule #1: Watch When You Apply Makeup After Lash Lifts
Here’s the most important rule right away. If you remember just one thing after reading this article, make it this: avoid applying makeup for 24 hours after your lash lift.
Psst! Super-cautious lash lovers, you might want to double this time. Some lash experts advise waiting 48 hours after a lash lift before applying makeup.1
The reason wearing makeup during these 24 hours is such a big no-no is because it takes a full day for your lash lift results to set. Applying makeup within this period threatens your results in 2 ways:
- #1: Some makeup ingredients can weaken the lift.
- #2: Washing off your makeup can relax your lift. (You need to keep your lashes away from water, steam, heat, and skincare products for the 24 hours the results are setting.)
So, start your 24-hour countdown after your procedure and give your face a day-long break from makeup, products, and cleansing. After this period, you can return to all your favorite beauty and cleansing activities – with just a few tweaks (check rules #2 and #3).
Rule #2: Watch Which Makeup You Apply After Lash Lifts
After the first day, reconnect with your beloved mascara, eyeshadow, and other makeup goodies. But before you do, check that everything you’ll apply to your eye area is oil-free and easy to remove.
Oil-based and long-wear (read: hard to wash off) makeup formulations can make your lash lift break down too soon. Oil works against the solution that keeps your lashes lifted, and long-lasting makeup needs scrubbing to remove properly, which speeds up how quickly your lift wears off.
These are my top dos and don’ts for selecting lash-lift-friendly makeup.
Tips For Selecting Mascara For After Lash Lifts
- Don’t wear waterproof mascara with a lash lift. It takes too much hard work to wash off.
- Do go for water-based and mineral mascaras. These are easier to remove and won’t ruin your curl.
Tips For Selecting Eyeshadow For After Lash Lifts
- Don’t wear oil-based eyeshadows. Plus, think twice about wearing glittery shadows, as these can be tricky to remove.
- Do use oil-free shadows, whether stick, cream, pigment, liquid, or powder. My faves are powder shadows, as I find them simplest to remove. Feel free to apply an oil-free primer first to make the shadow go on smoothly and stay put.
Pro tip: Use a tight-bristled brush to help you control where you put your shadow.
Tips For Selecting Concealer For After Lash Lifts
- Don’t choose long-wear, oil-based, or runny liquid concealers. Plus, don’t apply your concealer right on your lash line.
- Do pick an oil-free concealer. These are non-greasy and good with lash lifts!
Tips For Selecting Foundation For After Lash Lifts
- Don’t go for heavy, glittery, oil-based, or sticky foundations.
- Do apply oil-free formulations – powder foundations are usually your best oil-free bet. These also have a lower melting risk than cream and liquid foundations.
Rule #3: Watch How You Remove Your Makeup After Lash Lifts
Okay, you’re clued-up on which makeup is safe to wear after a lash lift; now, let’s look at how to remove it without removing your curl.
Washing off your makeup every day is a must-do for skin, eye, and lash health, but you need to wash your eye area gently with a mild, oil-free cleanser to protect your lash lift.
My top lash cleanser picks are specially formulated lash shampoo or oil-free micellar water. But you can use any gentle, oil-free cleanser to remove your makeup.
Pro tip: Make your own lash cleanser by combining oil-free baby shampoo, baking soda, and distilled water.
How to Remove Your Makeup After a Lash Lift
Here are 2 steps to washing off your makeup without ruining your lash lift:
- Step #1: Start by cleaning all parts of your face besides your eye area. Use a gentle oil-free cleanser and light, circular motions to remove makeup like foundation, blush, powder, and highlighter.
- Step #2: Now, it’s time to give attention to your eye area. Focus on one eye at a time. Apply your gentle, oil-free cleanser to a cotton pad, and lightly wipe the pad over your lid and brow. Next, press the pad against your closed eye for a few seconds, and then delicately wipe from your lashes’ base to tip until all the makeup is gone.
Can I Wear Makeup Before a Lash Lift?
You’ll give your lash lift a shaky start if you’re wearing makeup when it’s applied. The solution that lifts and curls don’t work well on lashes coated in makeup. What’s more, you’ll likely relax whatever curl was created when you wash off your makeup at the end of the day.
For lash lift success, stop wearing waterproof mascara 2 to 3 days before your procedure, go without all mascara a day before, and arrive at your lash lift session with a completely clean face.
The Bottom Line
While some people get a lash lift so they can skip putting on makeup yet still look polished, others want the procedure’s unrivaled lift and curl to make the most of their makeup routine.
All makeup fans can confidently continue applying oil-free, easy-to-remove makeup 24 hours after having a lash lift done without sabotaging the procedure’s results. Just remember to gently remove your makeup with an oil-free cleanser before jumping into bed!
To keep your lash lift and tint rocking for as long as possible, make sure to read my article about the lash lift do’s and don’ts must-know rules.
- Meg Walters – medically reviewed by Cynthia Cobb, DNP, APRN, WHNP-BC, FAANP (2022). How Long Does a Lash Lift Last? Plus, What to Expect from Treatment. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-a-lash-lift-last (29 June 2022)
Life Is Short, Your Lashes Don’t Need to Be
Enhance your natural beauty with stunning lash extensions or a gorgeous lash lift. Click the button to book your appointment online today.
Asako Ito is the Co-Founder of Divine Lashes and a certified eyelash stylist. She has garnered acclaim for her cutting-edge techniques in the lash industry.
Holding multiple certifications and licenses, including Luxury Eye, THE LASH SHOP, World Microblading, and The Lash Bible, she has a constant thirst for knowledge. These credentials reflect her commitment to excellence and staying at the forefront of lash and brow artistry.
With over 10 years of experience, Asako continuously increases her knowledge both as a technician and educator by collaborating with top lash artists worldwide. You can read her full bio here.