You’ve just got your new eyelash extensions and you’re feeling beautiful. Your stylist told you not to get them wet for 24 hours – No problem! You can skip the shower, right? But then you start to worry. What if you cry with eyelash extensions, will that ruin them?
On top of that, we’ve also added the most important things to keep in mind if you happen to cry while wearing eyelash extensions to minimize damage.
Let’s jump right into it!
Can You Cry With Eyelash Extensions?
Yes, you can cry with eyelash extensions since they are waterproof. However, avoid crying for 4 hours after your lash appointment for the adhesive to completely cure. After this period, cleanse your lashes when you cry to avoid oil and salt from your tears to weaken the eyelash glue.
There’re two distinct scenarios where you might wonder if it’s safe to cry with eyelash extensions:
- After your lash appointment
- During your lash appoitment
As a client, you have a responsibility for the first scenario, while your stylist has the responsibility for the second.
Let’s find out what they are.
Crying After Your Eyelash Extension Appointment
You shouldn’t cry right after getting false lashes because any type of wetness during the cure period can affect the retention of your eyelash extensions.
“Because it takes a minimum of four hours after the application for the bond set by the lash adhesive to bind your lash extensions onto your natural lashes, it’s best to hold off from crying and situations that might induce crying during that period (if possible).”
You might find other websites suggesting a waiting period of 24 hours (heck, some even 48 hours), but this is an exaggeration or a lash tech using outdated techniques.
Yes, it used to be the case that you had to wait that long before coming into contact with water, but nowadays a good lash tech will “force cure” your lashes at the end of the appointment in order to speed up the curing process.
For all brides out there, watch out if you’re getting eyelash extensions a few hours before your wedding. This is especially important if you think the wedding is going to be a cry-fest no matter whether you’re going to cry out of happiness or sadness.
All that being said, crying is mostly an involuntary reaction. Hence, you can’t always avoid it. Moreover, once the cure period of the eyelash glue is over, you can cry all you want without worries.
Just remember to clean up your lashes right after crying to remove any oil and salt left over from your tears. Salt and oil are solvents that can weaken the eyelash adhesive over time.
We will cover how to clean your eyelash extensions after crying a little later in this article.
Crying During Your Eyelash Extension Appointment
Eyelash extension is a pain-free procedure and should not cause any discomfort if applied properly. From my experience, there are two common reasons why a client might tear up during an eyelash appointment.
- Light sensitivity. Eyelash artists use strong lighting to have a great view of your lashes when they apply lash extensions. For some clients, this might cause discomfort and mild tearing. In such cases, your lash stylist should simply reduce the lighting a little.
- Formaldehyde fumes. If the client slightly opens their eyes by mistake, formaldehyde vapors can seep into the eyes. This ends up irritating the eyes and can cause tearing. Formaldehyde is a by-product of the curing process of cyanoacrylate, the bonding agent of lash glue. It is important to remind the client to keep their eyes closed at all times during the procedure.
In both cases, the eyelash stylist should dry the lashes immediately.
If the stylist continues working on wet lashes, the eyelash glue will cure too fast, will become brittle and the client will experience retention issues.
Remember that moisture accelerates the curing process, but too much moisture too fast is a big no-no.
What Happens if You Cry After Getting Eyelash Extensions?
The combination of salt and oil that’s prevalent in natural tears can break down the eyelash glue that’s keeping lash extensions connected to natural lashes.
Tears are super-important for the body because they are one of the best weapons used by your immune system to prevent infections. They do so by washing away irritants and foreign particles that enter the eye.
Crying might seem the same as getting eyelash extensions wet, but it’s very different. Getting your eyelash extensions wet is recommended during your daily cleansing routine to maintain a healthy lash line and avoid problems like lash mites.
However, tears also contain electrolytes (potassium, sodium, chloride), and thousands of proteins in addition to salt and fatty oils.
The biological reason why tear glands produce oils in addition to water is to prevent tears from drying too fast so that the eyes are moist for a long period.
Since eyelash extension adhesive is made up of a chemical called cyanoacrylate, you should avoid salt and oil on your lashes. Both of these are solvents that can weaken the bond of your extensions.
What to Do After Crying With Eyelash Extensions?
It is crucial to cleanse your eyelash extensions after crying using the following steps to remove the oil and salt that accumulated on your lashes from your tears.
- Pump out the eyelash shampoo provided by your stylist in your hands
- Put the shampoo foam on your lashes. Let it coat your lashes all the way to your lash line.
- Gently stroke your lashes up and down with a soft makeup brush.
- Rinse your lashes gently with water running down your face. Avoid splashing or shooting water directly at your lashes.
- Dry your lashes with a hairdryer on low and cool settings.
- Comb your lashes with a spoolie so that tangled eyelashes are back in order as they originally were.
As you can see, fixing your lashes after a good cry is quick and easy!
What to Remember if You Cry With Lash Extensions
Do Not Rub Your Eyes
Crying isn’t a big problem unless you’re doing it too long or too frequently while wearing lash extensions.
The very first thing to remember when you have watery eyes or cry too much while wearing eyelash extensions is mindfulness. That’s because most people end up rubbing and scrubbing their eyes harshly whenever they cry.
You should avoid gruffly rubbing your eyes when you’re crying. Doing so can pull or tug the lash extensions, making them fall out easily.
For the same reason, natural eyelashes fall out when you cry a bucket too. If you need to dry tears, gently pat-dry instead.
Avoid Sleeping With Dry Tears
Make sure to avoid sleeping without cleaning your eyes. Dried-up tears = concentrated salt and oil on your false lash extensions. Sleeping with eyelash extensions is very different.
That’s why if you don’t wash your lashes before going to bed, especially after crying, your lash line will accumulate oil and other minerals.
Don’t Feel Guilty
You’re crying for a good reason and you’re already feeling off your game. Don’t add to the drama by thinking about your eyelash extensions – They will be fine!
Does crying ruin lash extensions?
No, crying doesn’t ruin your eyelash extensions. However, you should wait at least 4 hours after getting your lashes done before getting them wet with tears (if you can!).
Can you cry with eyelash extensions after 24 hours?
It’s perfectly safe to cry with eyelash extensions after 24 hours. Remember to cleanse your eyelashes carefully afterward to make sure they remain free of salts and oils.
Does crying make your eyelashes longer?
There’s no scientific evidence that crying makes your eyelashes longer. This myth likely comes from the fact that when you cry, your natural lash temporarily look more prominent.
How to stop your eyes from watering after eyelash extensions?
Eyes watering after getting lash extensions should stop after 24 hours on their own. In the meantime, you can use a cold compress to reduce swelling and discomfort.
How to fix eyelash extensions stuck together after crying?
Make sure to cleanse your lashes to remove any salt or oils that accumulated while crying. To fix stuck-together eyelash extensions, use a spoolie brush to carefully separate the lashes by brushing them gently.
Why do my eyes burn when I cry with eyelash extensions?
You might feel a burning sensation when crying with eyelash extensions due to some of the adhesives not having completely cured yet and might still emit fumes.
While water isn’t harmful on its own, tears are harmful to lash extensions because they also contain salt and oil. They can degrade the bond created by the lash glue.
That’s why aftercare is very important if you shed tears while wearing lash extensions. Keep in mind to avoid roughly rubbing your eyes after crying and sleeping with dry tears.
Always wash your eyes after crying because it helps to remove sediment and oil from tears. Crying isn’t a rare thing and you just need to be careful about how you handle crying while wearing extensions.
If you have questions, feel free to drop your doubts in the box below. I will try my best to answer it as soon as I see it.
– Asako 🙂
- Asako Ito (2021) Can You Swim With Eyelash Extensions? Retrieved from https://divinelashes.ca/blog/swimming-with-eyelash-extensions/ (Accessed on 17-2-2021)
- Mayo Clinic (2019). Watery Eyes? Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/watery-eyes/basics/causes/sym-20050821 (Accessed on 17-2-2021)
- Adrienne Santos (2019). What Are Tears Made Of? 17 Facts About Tears That May Surprise You. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/what-are-tears-made-of (Accessed on 17-2-2021)
- Gemma Francis (2017). This is how many times you will cry in your lifetime – and it’s no surprise that women will tear up more than men. Retrieved from https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-many-times-you-cry-11196317 (Accessed on 17-2-2021)
- Asako Ito (2021). Can You Sleep With Eyelash Extensions? Avoid Lashes Falling-Out. Retrieved from https://divinelashes.ca/blog/sleeping-with-eyelash-extensions/ (Accessed on 17-2-2021)