Several of my clients who wear eyelash extensions all year long have asked me over the years if they can get a facial with eyelash extensions. It would be dramatic if you had to choose and give up one of those services!
Of course, you invest time and money into getting beautiful lashes and the last thing you want is to ruin them by getting a facial or any other service for that matter.
As a lash artist, I need to be aware of the various interactions my services can have with other beauty services and facials are definitely one of them.
Let’s get going!
Can You Get a Facial With Eyelash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions can be worn during a facial treatment. It is recommended to wait at least 4 hours between both treatments to ensure the lash glue is completely cured. During the facial, oil, heat, and steam should be avoided around the eyes.
Facial treatments are a combination of cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and using natural products that will leave your skin looking fresh and glowing.
Several products and procedures used during a facial could be detrimental to your eyelash extensions. Therefore, it is crucial to discuss with your esthetician the approach that will be used during the facial treatment to make sure your lash extensions remain untouched.
Having good communication with your esthetician performing the facial will help avoid any issues with the application of your eyelash extensions.
How to Protect Eyelash Extensions During a Facial
Here are the 5 most important things to look for if you want to maintain your eyelash extensions during a facial.
- Salt scrubs or sea buckthorn scrubs: These products are great for cleaning the skin and exfoliating dead cells. They are also very abrasive and can cause your eyelash extensions to come off if used too close to your eyes.
- Oils: Many facial products contain oils that can cause the lash glue to loosen and dissolve. For instance, using coconut oil is an effective way to remove eyelash extensions at home.
Your esthetician must avoid applying oily products too close to the eyelash extensions.
- Steam: I’ve said it many times before, steam is not good for lash extensions. It can cause lash glue to loosen over time. Why? Steam opens up the hair follicle, adding moisture to the glue.
- Hot towels: It is often standard to place a hot towel on the eyes during a facial. Excessive heat should be avoided if you want to maintain your lashes for a long time. Instead, ask your esthetician to wrap the towel around the eyes.
- Natural products: The toning, exfoliating scrubs, and moisturizers used during a facial are usually natural. These products are often applied to the skin during a facial. Again, make sure they are applied not too close to the eye area.
Should I Get a Facial Before or After Lash Extensions?
An interesting question is the timing of both services. When planning your beauty regimen, should you get a facial before eyelash extensions or get your lashes done first?
Assuming you are a regular eyelash extension wearer and you go for a refill every 3 weeks, I always recommend my clients schedule their facial a couple of days before their lash extension refill.
Even if something goes horribly wrong during the facial and several lash extensions fall off, you can have your beautiful lashes back to normal at your refill appointment. You will only be left a couple of days without them.
On the other hand, if you get a facial right after getting lash extensions, you risk damaging a fresh new set.
This strategy is recommended for damage control. In most cases, an experienced esthetician will be careful enough during a facial not to damage your lash extensions. However, it is still a best practice just in case.
Can I Steam My Face With Lash Extensions?
Steam should be avoided around the eye area when getting a facial with lash extensions because It can weaken the bond of the lash glue over time. Instead, use a hot towel to relax and open up the pores for your facial.
When using a hot towel, it’s important to be wary of lint that may get caught in the eyelash extensions and pull or snag them. For that reason, I always recommend covering the face but keeping the eyes exposed for the hot towel treatment.
Basic Facial Step by Step
If you’re curious to know how facials are done, and more importantly how they can interfere with your lashes, here’s a basic step-by-step guide.
- Eye massage (optional)
- Neck, hand, and shoulder massage (optional)
- Conclusion and recommendations to maintain your skin.
In this video, Dr. Gaile Robredo-Vitas discusses facials, their benefits, and what to expect during a treatment.
The Bottom Line
Eyelash extensions and facials are not incompatible treatments. With proper timing, you can enjoy a facial with your eyelash extensions without the fear of losing them.
General recommendations such as avoiding heat, oils, and steam should be maintained at all times including during a facial treatment.
I always recommend my clients to have a consultation with an esthetician before having a facial done. Make sure the esthetician is comfortable with your wearing lash extensions and knows how to adapt their treatment accordingly.
I hope this article gives you a confident feeling about getting a facial with eyelash extensions and helps you develop a long-term beauty regimen.
If you have any questions about a facial with lash extensions, feel free to reach out to me in the comments below.
– Asako 🙂
- J Clin Invest. (2012). Skincare in the aging female: myths and truths. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3266803/ [Accessed 2nd August 2021]
- Mellanie Perez (2021). 8 Steps to the Perfect At-Home Facial. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/facial-steps-at-home [Accessed 2nd August 2021]
Life Is Short, Your Lashes Don’t Need to Be
Enhance your natural beauty with stunning lash extensions or a gorgeous lash lift. Click the button to book your appointment online today.
Asako Ito is the Co-Founder of Divine Lashes and a certified eyelash stylist. She has garnered acclaim for her cutting-edge techniques in the lash industry.
Holding multiple certifications and licenses, including Luxury Eye, THE LASH SHOP, World Microblading, and The Lash Bible, she has a constant thirst for knowledge. These credentials reflect her commitment to excellence and staying at the forefront of lash and brow artistry.
With over 10 years of experience, Asako continuously increases her knowledge both as a technician and educator by collaborating with top lash artists worldwide. You can read her full bio here.