Several of my clients who wear eyelash extensions all year long have asked me over the years if you can get a facial with eyelash extensions. It would be dramatic if you had to choose and give up one of those services!
Of course, you invest time and money into getting beautiful lashes and the last thing you want is to ruin them by getting a facial or any other service for that matter.
So, can you get a facial with eyelash extensions?
Eyelash extensions can be worn during a facial treatment. It is recommended to wait at least 4 hours between both treatments to ensure the lash glue is completely cured. During the facial, oil, heat, and steam should be avoided around the eyes.
In this article, I’m going to walk you through how each treatment can affect the other. I will give you tips to ensure your facial treatment doesn’t make your eyelash extensions fall off.
Let’s get going!
Can You Get a Facial With Eyelash Extensions
Facial treatments are a combination of cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and using natural products that will leave your skin looking fresh and glowing.
Several products and procedures used during a facial could be detrimental to your eyelash extensions. Therefore, it is crucial to discuss with your esthetician the approach that will be used during the facial treatment to make sure your lash extensions remain untouched.
Having good communication with your esthetician performing the facial will help avoid any issues with the application of your eyelash extensions.
Here are the 5 most important things to look for if you want to maintain your eyelash extensions during a facial:
- Salt scrubs or sea buckthorn scrubs: These products are great for cleaning the skin and exfoliating dead cells. They are also very abrasive and can cause your eyelash extensions to come off if used too close to your eyes.
- Oils: Many facial products contain oils that can cause the lash glue to loosen and dissolve. For instance, using coconut oil is an effective way to remove eyelash extensions at home.
Your esthetician must avoid applying oily products too close to the eyelash extensions.
- Steam: I’ve said it many times before, steam is not good for lash extensions. It can cause lash glue to loosen over time. Why? Steam opens up the hair follicle, adding moisture to the glue.
- Hot towels: It is often standard to place a hot towel on the eyes during a facial. Excessive heat should be avoided if you want to maintain your lashes for a long time. Instead, ask your esthetician to wrap the tower around the eyes.
- Natural products: The toning, exfoliating scrubs, and moisturizers used during a facial are usually natural. These products are often applied to the skin during a facial. Again, make sure they are applied not too close to the eye area.
Facial Before or After Eyelash Extensions
An interesting question is the timing of both services. When planning your beauty regimen, should you get a facial before eyelash extensions or get your lashes done first?
Assuming you are a regular eyelash extension wearer and you go for a refill every 3 weeks, I always recommend my clients to schedule their facial a couple of days before their lash extension refill.
Even if something goes horribly wrong during the facial and several lash extensions fall off, you can have your beautiful lashes back to normal at your refill appointment. You will only be left a couple of days without them.
On the other hand, if you get a facial right after getting lash extensions, you risk damaging a fresh new set.
This strategy is recommended for damage control. In most cases, an experienced esthetician will be careful enough during a facial not to damage your lash extensions. However, it is still a best practice just in case.
Basic Facial Step by Step
Facial treatments might vary from one provider to another depending but in general, they should include the following steps: 
- Eye massage (optional)
- Neck, hand, and shoulder massage (optional)
- Conclusion and recommendations to maintain your skin.
In this video, Dr. Gaile Robredo-Vitas discusses facials, their benefits, and what to expect during a treatment.
It is important to note that there are still some debates with regards to the actual long-term benefits of facial treatments. Facialists claim several benefits such as skin detox, regulation of the immune system, lymphatic drainage, and exfoliation.
Eyelash extensions and facials are not incompatible treatments. With proper timing, you can enjoy a facial with your eyelash extensions without the fear of losing them.
A lot of the recommendations for maintaining your eyelash extensions for a long time are formulated to avoid interactions with the lash glue. Indeed, a specific adhesive is used to affix lash extensions to your natural lashes.
General recommendations such as avoiding heat, oils, and steam should be maintained at all times including during a facial treatment.
I always recommend my clients to have a consultation with an esthetician before having a facial done. Make sure the esthetician is comfortable with your wearing lash extensions and knows how to adapt their treatment accordingly.
I hope this article gives you a confident feeling about getting a facial with eyelash extensions and helps you develop a long-term beauty regimen.
If you have any questions about a facial before or after wearing lash extensions, feel free to reach out to me in the comments below.
Further Readings on DivineLashes.ca: To make sure you are not damaging your extensions, check out my articles on getting a spray tan with eyelash extensions and wearing eye cream with lash extensions. Also, this Eyelash Extensions Do’s and Don’ts list is great to avoid common pitfalls.
- J Clin Invest. (2012). Skincare in the aging female: myths and truths. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3266803/ [Accessed 2nd August 2021]
- Mellanie Perez (2021). 8 Steps to the Perfect At-Home Facial. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/facial-steps-at-home [Accessed 2nd August 2021]